About Me

I have spent many years designing and creating Christmas Trees and displays. I would like to share with you what I have learned, and you are welcome to share you suggestions and ideas also. I hope you enjoy reading these blogs and hope they have helped you add enjoyment to your decorating endeavors. In an effort to make these posts as informative as possible, as I come across photos and information that would be best used in these posts, you may see them change from time to time. Please be patient, as this is always a work in progress. Thank you:-) Follow me on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/holidayknights/

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Making Bows, Bows, and more Bows!

The last blog explained the basic how to for making bows. After learning to make a regular 4 loop bow, and getting really good at it...it's time to have fun! Let your imagination soar. There are so many different kinds of bows and loops you can make from ribbon...the only limiting factor is your imagination. Here are a variety of ways I have used ribbons and bows in Christmas trees and arrangements.


In this first picture I wanted to use ribbon in the tree but not bows. I wanted the focal point to be the Easter baskets. I used pink raffia ribbon (paper) and just made a bunch of loops. Each loop larger than the last, with 5 loops and then placed them at strategic points in the tree. By doing this...the tree didn't blend in all the ornaments together. The variety of ornaments and baskets stood out from each other. This is a way of adding dimension to the tree. 

 
In this tree I wanted the bow to be the focal point. Most people think of a tree topper going at the top of the tree. I sometimes decide to move the tree topper (the focal point) to the middle of the tree. This affect makes the tree look like a Christmas package. A different look that's glitzy and elegant.


This is a very simple stairway decorated for Christmas. The bow on the newel post is made using three different ribbons. The more ribbons you use the harder it is to make, but well worth the effort.


Although there is no lack of ribbon on this tree, there are no bows. I wanted to create a unique look for this tree because the ornaments on this tree were exquisite. I used an assortment of lighted Angel tree toppers going down the tree in a spiral. Under the spiral of Angels I used three different ribbons. One wide cream ribbon, one regular sized ribbon with a gold and cream pattern, and a tiny gold ribbon that looks just like a bead of garland. I strung them together to form a horizontal loop, and then a vertical loop all the way down and around the tree. The most difficult part of this is keeping the ribbons tight so they don't droop to much and loose the effect. I think it was well worth the effort.


The bow is made from french ribbon. It's very easy to work with and very flexible. This bow is a bow with a center button. The loops are varying lengths and there are two nice long tails. It really added to the Christmas basket. 

Just remember, most of the ideas here can be used with an assortment of different ribbons and made in all sizes. You can take any idea, tweak it and make it you own.

No comments:

Post a Comment